Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm sorry it has been so long since I last blogged! I guess the holidays were so busy and fun that I got a bit distracted. I hope your holidays were fun as well.

In my last post, I talked about calories, a unit that measures how much energy is in the food you eat. Some people think calories are bad. They aren't! In fact, your body needs around 2000 of them a day (depending on age and gender). I like to tell people that calories are like gas in a car--you need them for energy and growth. That is especially true in school because your brain needs calories in order to function well.

So, what happens if you don't eat? Well, you've probably had the experience of skipping breakfast, because you thought it would help you lose weight (WRONG!), you simply forgot, or you didn't have enough time. Then, sometime after recess and before lunch, you probably "bonked," which means your brain ran out of energy and you found it very hard to concentrate or stay awake. You could hardly wait for lunch. And you probably felt much better once you ate.
What happened? You starved your brain! Think about it: even if you eat dinner/dessert at, say, 9 pm the night before, and skip breakfast the next morning, you'll go 14-16 HOURS without eating! That's like driving your car without gas. Doesn't work too well.

So, when your mother (or PE teacher!) says, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," listen to them and begin the day with a healthy meal

Speaking of a healthy breakfast, it was great to read people's opinions about which breakfast is better (bagel and cream cheese or yogurt with fruit). While both will give you energy for the day, the yogurt is probably better, as it is higher in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Everyone who replied was right! I'm glad to see so many of you know how to eat right!

Now, for the next post, share with the other readers what you do to stay physically active when it is raining outside. We'd all love to hear how creative people can be!

17 comments:

  1. Hey Mr.Gang,
    I tried to post comments all the time but I noticed I didn't have a blog and had to make one...Finally,I got to post a comment today, and is the first!Anyways, usually my mom and I burn calories at YMCA, either playing racket ball or exercising on a rainy day.
    Sometimes when I'm lucky, I get to go swimming...
    Have a great pouring rainy day^^

    Hannah Shin
    Fremont
    Mrs.Osment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post about calories and food. ANyways long time since you've been on. Sooooo


    FIrst comment from Edison


    Jeremiah Ancheta
    McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi mr.gang nice infos..............eric cho
    4th mrsryder fremont

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mr. Gang sorry I haven't logged on for a while even though I was THE FIRST TO COMMENT last time!...
    I burn off calories by playing basketball with my team, The Roadrunners...
    We had practice today and I am TIRED :[...
    Tommorow I have a game at Glassel so we are away and hopefully we win...
    We are 1-1...
    Last time I played a full game and I was SUPER TIRED:[...
    Well thanks for the info and i'll see you Monday...

    Robby Herrera
    Mrs. Stokes
    Cerritos!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything I can do in the rain?...
    Any ideas?...

    Robby Herrera/~El Beast~/Cool Guy/Buff Guy...
    hahahahahaha...
    Mrs. Stokes...
    Cerritos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr.Gang, no long no see!!!
    I just wanted to ask you is dark chocolate good for your health?

    Hannah Shin
    Fremont
    Mrs.Osment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry... I meant, long time no see....XD


    QUESTION ABOVE HAS AN ERROR


    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You for the GREAT INFORMATION...

    Mrs. Jordan
    John C. Fremont
    Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  9. heyy mr.gang dats good info. but yu always tell us this monday, wednsday, nd friday but its okay nd now yu kno dat im trying harder at p.e. nd im proud of that ......well anyways byee see yu on wednsday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mr. gang, i like your information about the calories and breakfast.i'll see you tomorrow

    anna shim
    mrs. ryder
    fremont

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey mr gang srry i havent blogged for a long time ive been pretty busy lately and thx 4 teachin us all those wonderful tips i hope u give me a lot of extra credit =D cya next tues


    -Andrew Shin 5th mrs jordan fremont

    ReplyDelete
  12. im sorry your not getting so many commets on this poart of the blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry Mr gang thats Jason lee on top of me but hey I cant tell the future so what the heck.plus i did not know that it is especially true it because your brain needs calories in order to function well {I just learned something}!!!... and I just want to say thanks for telling us wonderful tips i hope you have a wonderful day and good bye... for now. jason hur from fremont school Mrs downers class

    ReplyDelete
  14. its me again I think thats jasons lees so bye

    ReplyDelete
  15. well now your getting a lot of blogs I think the last time i checked it was a new one

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Mr,g I guess who's being good at p.e. I am!!!But I'm not doing as well as last year I did bad on curlups so bye

    ReplyDelete